Today is the 22nd October here in Australia so as promised, Microsoft launched officially its new Windows Operating System, Windows 7!
Below is the official press release from Microsoft Australia.
Microsoft Simplifies the PC with Windows 7 – New PC Operating System Available Worldwide Today
Sydney — Oct. 22, 2009 — Today Microsoft Corp. announced the worldwide availability of its new Windows 7 operating system. Windows 7 delivers on a simple premise: make it easier for people to do the things they want on a PC.
Tracey Fellows, Managing Director of Microsoft Australia said the new operating system offers a streamlined user interface and significant new features that make everyday tasks easier and allow people to get the most out of computers of all styles and sizes.
“Windows 7 IS the PC, simplified, thanks to feedback and input from millions of Windows users during product testing,” said Fellows. “Windows 7 works the way you want – it’s faster, more reliable and easy-to-use. It’s great for home, great for work and all places in between. With more choices and options from more partners, there is a tremendous range of PCs available at great value to Australians.”
Building Windows 7 has been a collaborative process from the beginning, with Microsoft’s engineers and designers working with customers and partners to build an operating system that delivers on the vision of the PC, simplified.
“Windows 7 is an important product beyond what it means to Microsoft. This launch represents a great opportunity for our Australian customers and the Australian IT industry,” said Fellows. “Microsoft works with a diverse ecosystem of partners – from developers to PC manufacturers, to retailers – all of whom are touched by the release of a new operating system. This ecosystem helps deliver innovation, choice and affordability for customers.”
Simplifying the PC
Over the past 18 months, feedback from more than a billion opt-in customer sessions and eight million beta testers validated Microsoft’s research on how to simplify everyday tasks. Here are a few of the many ways you’ll experience a more simplified PC with Windows 7:
Simplifies everyday tasks
- Taskbar: The go-to spot for launching programs and switching windows, the taskbar has been completely redesigned to help you work smarter, cut clutter, and get more done, with features like thumbnail previews of webpages, documents—even running video.
- HomeGroup: Easily share your files and printers with other Windows 7 PCs in your home.
- Windows 7 DeviceStage: Shows you the status of all your connected devices such as cameras and mobile phones and makes it easier to synchronize and manage them.
- Photos and Videos: Windows Live Photo Gallery* and Windows Live Movie Maker*(available via download) work with Windows 7 and offer customers great, complimentary options to edit photos and videos and share with loved ones*.
- Snap: Drag an open window to your screen’s border to automatically re-size it. Snap two different windows to the left and right borders for a perfect comparison.
- Shake: Click a window pane and shake your mouse to minimize all other open windows. Shake the pane again to restore the windows to their original sizes.
- Internet Explorer 8: Our fastest, easiest, and safest browser ever offers smart new features like Instant Search, Accelerators, and Web Slices help you get more out of the Web.
- Windows Live Photo Gallery and Windows Live Movie Maker are not included with Windows 7 and need to be downloaded from www.windowslive.com.au. Internet access is required and download charges may apply as set by ISP.
Works the way you want
- Faster On, Faster Off: Windows 7 users will benefit from the focus on underlying performance, faster startup, resuming and shut down time, and enhanced power management.
- Mobile Made Easier: Your mobile computing settings are in one place with the Windows Mobility Center.
- Protecting your PC: Safeguarding the data on your PC is easier with advanced backup capabilities and the free Microsoft Security Essentials download (Internet access is required and download charges may apply as set by ISP) to help protect you against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software.
Makes new things possible
- Windows Touch: Interact with your PC with a touch-screen monitor, using your fingers and multi-touch gestures.
- PlayTo: Stream your digital music, videos, and photos to other PCs or devices such as your Xbox 360 connected to your TV.\
- Rich Gaming and Graphics: Windows 7 includes performance enhancements that take power gaming and entertainment to a new level, with 64-bit support and DirectX11 graphics.
- Location-Aware Printing: Your documents are sent to the right printer whether it’s at home or at the office. And with Offline Files you can work offline and automatically synchronize between a PC and documents on your office network.
Partners Rally Around Windows 7
Along with increased customer involvement, Microsoft’s partners had a closer, more involved role in the product vision and planning process with Windows 7. The collaborative approach to engaging partners to inform development efforts has resulted in improved performance for PCs as well as compatibility with a broad range of software and hardware across the Windows ecosystem. More than 17,000 software and hardware companies are building solutions on Windows 7 and over 50,000 developers are enrolled in the Windows Ecosystem Readiness Program. Together, these partners are developing hardware, software and services capable of reaching more than a billion PCs around the world.
On Sale Worldwide Today
The global availability of Windows 7 is joined by an unprecedented array of new PCs and software programs.
Windows 7 Upgrade Price in Australia
Home Premium AU$199
Windows 7 Full Price in Australia:
Home Premium AU$299
For more information on Windows 7, please visit www.windows.com.au or Windows 7 Press Pass
Buy Windows 7 @Amazon:
Comments are closed.