JBL Live Free NC+ TWS is the latest Bluetooth earbuds from JBL, an American company that is best known for its audio quality since 1946. So when they make Bluetooth earbuds, it means business.
It has Active Noise Cancelling, wireless charging, and waterproof. The charging case is certainly compact enough to fit into your pocket, hence it’s very portable.
So let’s find out if it’s any good.
What do you get in the box?
- JBL Live Free NC+ TWS
- 1 x 3 sizes of ear tips
- 1 x 2 sizes of gel-sleeves
- 1 x Type-C USB charging cable
- 1 x Charging case
- 1 x Warranty / Warning
- 1 x QSG / Safety Sheet
How’s the pairing process?
It’s super easy to pair for first-time use.
All you do is take both earbuds out of the charging case, and if you’re using Android 6.0 or above will be prompted to pair them right away (using the Fast Pair feature).
Then, to get more control and personalisation, you’ll want to download the My JBL Headphones app (available on Google Play and Apple App Store).
I must say this is the easiest pairing process that I’ve ever had.
I sure hope other manufacturers took some notes.
What are the main features?
- Active Noise Cancelling with smart ambient reduction.
- Wireless charging (Qi-compatible).
- Dual connect (it pairs to your phone as soon as you open the charging case, no matter which one you grab first).
- Sweat & waterproof (IPX7 certified).
How’s the sound quality?
With Active Noise Cancelling (ANC), JBL Live Free NC+ TWS earbuds perform superbly in isolating external noises. Thus, you don’t hear much background noise when using them.
Plus, the sound quality is fantastic, it has enough bass for any music lover, and crisp enough for any podcast listener like I am. For phone calls, the sound is clear and crisp with its clever TalkThru and Ambient Aware technologies.
How’s the comfort?
They feel comfortable in your ears and nicely secured (not too firm though), with three ear-tip sizes and two gel-sleeve sizes, you’ll find the right size for you.
I wore them for my morning jog and they certainly didn’t disappoint.
I noticed that I used to hear the thud from my feet touching the ground with other earbuds (when running), but not with these JBL earbuds.
How’s the control?
It’s quite straight forward, you can either tap or press (hold) to manually control your earbuds.
These are the basic controls that you’ll have to remember:
- To turn the noise cancelling on/off, simply tap your left bud once.
- To hang up a phone call, tap your left/right bud twice.
- To play/pause, tap your right bud once.
- To play the next track, tap your right bud twice.
However, it may take some time to get used to these.
How’s the battery?
The battery life is superb.
You get up to 7 hours of music playback and up to 14 hours in the case.
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz – 20 kHz
- Impedance: 16 ohm
- Sensitivity: 96 dB [email protected] kHz
- Maximum SPL: 94 dB
- Microphone sensitivity: -26 dBV/Pa @1 kHz
- Maximum Operation temperature: 45 °C
- Driver Size: 6.8 mm Dynamic Driver
- Earpiece: 6.8 grams each (14.6 grams combined)
- Charging case: 54.7 grams
Control & Connection
- Bluetooth version: 5.1
- Bluetooth profile version: A2DP V1.3, AVRCP V1.6, HFP V1.7
- Bluetooth transmitter frequency range: 2400 – 2483.5 MHz
- Bluetooth transmitter power: <10 dBm (EIRP)
- Bluetooth transmitter modulation: GFSK, ?/4 DQPSK, 8DPSK
- Power supply: 5 V 1 A
- Headset battery type: Lithium-ion polymer (3.7 V, 50 mAh)
- Charging case battery type: Lithium-ion polymer (3.7 V, 300 mAh)
- Charging time: 2 hrs from empty
- Music play time with BT on (with ANC off): up to 7 hrs
- Music play time with BT on (with ANC on): up to 6 hrs
JBL Live Free NC+ TWS Review Conclusion
JBL Live Free NC+ TWS gets the tick of approval from me. It’s available now for AU$249 at JBL.com.au and retailers around Australia.
Disclosure: Review sample was supplied for reviewing
JBL Live Free NC+ TWS Review
- Superior sound quality to most earbuds that I’ve owned.
- Battery life is more than enough for daily use.
- It has the perfect fit for my ear.
- Wireless charging