Home Technology Tech News & Updates What is the National Broadband Network? And how will it affect Australian...

What is the National Broadband Network? And how will it affect Australian Businesses?

Note: This is a guest post written by Paul Green

NBN

Unless you have been living under a rock for the past few years, you are probably aware of this project called the National Broadband Network. Touted by Julia Gillard and the ALP as a next generation, superfast broadband network, the NBN is going to change the way Australians live and connect with each other.

However, it’s not all straightforward, and many aspects of the NBN can be confusing. If you want to find out exactly what this network is and what it will mean for Australians, you’ve come to the right place – here is some important information about the National Broadband Network.

What is the National Broadband Network?

The NBN is a broadband network designed to provide affordable and accessible internet to all Australians. The plan spans across 10 years, and will enable urban and rural areas to have faster internet access. Above this, the NBN is more reliable than Australia’s current technology – this ensures almost all of the nation will have more secure and consistent internet connections.

How does the NBN work?

The NBN uses three different technologies: fixed wireless, optic fibre, and next-generation satellite. The majority of Australians – 93 per cent, in fact – will connect via optic fibre, while the other 7 per cent will use the fixed wireless and next-generation satellite technologies. The speeds the NBN offer are unparalleled to today’s ADSL standards; through optic fibre, peak speeds will reach one gigabit per second while the other two technologies offer peak speeds of 12 megabits per second.

Why do we need one?

Currently, Australia’s telecommunications infrastructure uses copper and is struggling to deal with the demands of the country. Copper wires limit the amount of internet data that can be transferred at one point in time, and for a country that has an increasing internet presence every day, this is a big problem. The NBN’s plan to use optic fibre means the network will require less maintenance – plus, these fibres can transmit signals for up to 200 kilometres, so even the remote areas of Australia will reap the benefits of this new network.

How will it affect businesses?

Because the NBN uses optic fibre, the network will be more reliable and faster so businesses can offer an unparalleled internet experience for its online consumers or users. Companies will also have more options for hosting (such as cloud hosting options with companies like Macquarie Telecom) and teleworking across cities, states and territories. The NBN also means more companies and businesses in rural areas will be better equipped with the tools for telecommunications online.

Check out this video on the National Broadband Network and how it will affect Australian businesses.

Note: This guest post was written by Paul Green. He is a writer who is excited about the prospects of the National Broadband Network. He’s particularly excited to be able to better communicate with his family in the United States and the UK.

You may also like