Marvel’s Spider-Man is one of the few superheroes who needs no introduction at all. I’ve been a big fan of Peter Parker since I was 7 years old. When it comes to video game adaptation, it can be hit or miss. In this case, Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 video game by Insomniac is an instant hit with a bang!
It’s been three years since the last Marvel’s Spider-Man game was released. The wait is officially over. When I first watched the teaser trailer back in 2021, I remembered vividly it was during the lockdown and I was so looking forward to the sequel of Miles Morales. Venom was such a menace in that trailer, I knew straight away it would be a game changer (pun intended).
Hmm, where do I begin? Fast forward to the end of October 2023, Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 is the fastest-selling video game made by PlayStation. It sold 2.5 million physical and digital copies on the first day. This equates to selling roughly 29 copies per second in the first 24 hours. Assuming that each copy sells for $100, the topline revenue would be 250 million dollars. Not bad for a one day sale, eh? That figure alone is the epitome of social proof. Well, let’s dive into the game.
- An evolution of Marvel’s Spider-Man story: The incredible power of the symbiote forces Peter and Miles to face the ultimate test of strength, both inside and outside the mask, as they balance their lives, friendships, and their duty to protect those in need.
- Experience two playable characters: Quickly swap between both characters as you explore New York City. Experience Peter’s new symbiote abilities and Miles’ explosive bio-electric venom powers, and discover upgradeable, high-tech equipment that enhances the combat experience for extensive gameplay depth and variety.
- Battle iconic Marvel Super Villains: Fight against a variety of new and iconic villains, including the Venom, Kraven the Hunter, the Lizard, and many more!
- Visit an expanded Marvel’s New York: Explore a larger New York City than ever before, featuring two new boroughs – Brooklyn and Queens – as well as locations like Coney Island.
- Haptic feedback: Feel the power of Marvel’s Spider-Man! The responsive vibrations of the DualSense™ wireless controller bring Peter’s symbiote abilities and Miles’ bioelectric skills to your fingertips.
- Adaptive triggers: Master acrobatic moves, execute thrilling combos, and experience the breathtaking excitement of web-swinging traversal through the DualSense™ wireless controller’s adaptive triggers.
- Tempest 3D AudioTech*: Become immersed in Marvel’s New York as 3D spatial audio creates unique soundscapes all around you. Pinpoint the sounds of webs, bio-electric powers, bustling traffic, responsive New Yorkers, and dangerous enemy attacks. *3D Audio via built-in TV speakers or analog/USB stereo headphones.
- Ultra high-speed SSD: Experience the power of the PS5™ console with lightning-fast load times for near-instant character switching across different parts of the city, fast travel, and new Web Wing traversal for quicker exploration of Marvel’s New York than ever before.
- Stunning visuals: Explore beautiful and vibrant new environments, like the boroughs of Queens and Brooklyn, as Marvel’s New York is spectacularly brought to life.
MARVEL’S SPIDER-MAN 2 REVIEW – STORY
Without revealing any spoilers, the story continues from the events of the last installment (Marvel’s Spider-Man: Miles Morales). Make sure to check our review on the game.
Both Peter Parker and Miles Morales struggle to navigate the next steps in their personal lives, while combating several new threats.
They include Kraven the Hunter’s private army, who arrives at New York City and transforms it into a hunting ground for super-powered people (mutants, anyone?) and the origin of the Venom symbiote.
MARVEL’S SPIDER-MAN 2 REVIEW – GAMEPLAY
The gameplay is familiar if you’ve played the previous games before. Just like the old adage: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.
Upgradeable gadgets are still available in this game. Swing, jump, and utilise the new Web Wings to travel across New York City. You will switch between both characters throughout the story, each with their epic powers.
The first hour of the gameplay is worthy of a Hollywood blockbuster. Just saying. It’s as if I became Peter Parker himself. The action sequence is unique. I set the difficulty to Amazing (the default one) and I believe this is a good choice for those who want the balance of stimulating and not-so-frustrating challenges.
As side missions are beautifully integrated with the main story, I truly enjoy doing them as the main mission progresses. So it doesn’t feel too linear.
You can also fast travel to multiple locations in the game, in addition to the new wingsuit for enhanced exploration.
MARVEL’S SPIDER-MAN 2 REVIEW – GRAPHICS
To say the graphics are awesome would be an understatement. The nitty-gritty of New York City is visibly better in this installment. Also, I opted for the Fidelity video mode (120 Hz in auto) when I was playing the game on my LG OLED TV with Sony’s H7 wireless headphones. Marvel’s Spider-Man character almost looks indistinguishable from his real counterpart in Marvel movies. I’d wager that it won’t be long before we can’t tell them apart from video games and Hollywood movies.
MARVEL’S SPIDER-MAN 2 REVIEW CONCLUSION
I would give it the highest score of 5/5. It is THAT good. Arguably, this is one of the best video games I’ve ever played. I don’t use superlatives that often by the way.
Just do yourself a favour, go, and buy yourself a copy of the Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 game. You’ll thank me later.
Marvel’s Spider-Man 2 game is available at your favourite local and online retailers.
- Publisher: Sony Interactive Entertainment
- Developer: Insomniac Games
- Platform: PlayStation 5
- Genre: Action Adventure
- Players: Single-player
- Available: 20th October 2023
- Age Rating: T for Teen
Insomniac Games hits it out of the park with Marvel’s Spider-Man 2, offering an unforgettable gaming experience that’s worth every fan’s attention