Kingston NV1 NVMe PCIe SSD Review – Kingston Technology has a variety of NVMe PCIe SSD in M.2 factor, ranging from the highest end like the KC2500 (with 3,500 MB/s read and 2,900 MB/s write speed) to a more budget-friendly storage like the A2000 (with 2,200 MB/s read and 2,000 MB/s write speed).
But the Kingston NV1 NVMe PCIe SSD is even more affordable, having a slightly lower speed than the A2000 (with 2,100 MB/s read and 1,700 MB/s write speed). It’s the ideal entry-level drive for first time NVMe users with laptops and small form factor PCs.
Of course, that doesn’t mean you can’t put this into your main desktop or gaming PC. If you are coming from a traditional SATA SSD like the Kingston KC600, you’ll still get a huge jump in performance (about four times faster).
Kingston NV1 is available in three different capacity: 500GB, 1TB, and 2TB. The review unit I have here is the 1TB version which can store lots of data. Whether you use it as the main operating system drive, for gaming, or for your media files, there is plenty of space here and you’ll be satisfied with the speed upgrade.
With a single-sided M.2 2280 (22x80mm) design with no heatsink and 7 grams of weight, the NV1 is super thin and perfect for thin laptops or small form factor PCs. It also generates low heat and uses less power, perfect if you want to save that laptop battery while you are out and about.
But as I said before, you can also plug this into your main desktop or gaming PC. However, if you have more budget and want more performance, definitely grab the higher-end KC2500 or the middle-end PCIe SSDs from Kingston.
Testing it with CrystalDiskMark, this is the read and write speed I got – which is in line with the official results:
Kingston UV1 comes with a limited 3-year warranty with free technical support. The 500GB retails for around A$79, 1TB for A$139, and 2TB for A$269 (at PC Case Gear).
Kingston NV1 Features and Specifications:
- NVMe PCIe Performance: NV1 offers read/write speeds up to 2,100/1,700MB/s1 (all capacities).
- Ideal for systems with limited space: Easily integrate into designs with M.2 connectors. Perfect for thin laptops and small form factor PCs.
- Multiple Capacities2: Available in a range of capacities up to 2TB to meet your data storage requirements.
- Form Factor: M.2 2280
- Interface: NVMe PCIe Gen 3.0 x 4 Lanes
- Capacities2: 500GB, 1TB, 2TB
- 500GB – 120TBW
- 1000GB – 240TBW
- 2000GB – 480TBW
- Power Consumption:
- 500GB: 5mW Idle / 205mW Avg / 1.1W (MAX) Read / 3.3W (MAX) Write
- 1000GB: 5mW Idle / 220mW Avg / 1.1W (MAX) Read / 3.3W (MAX) Write
- 2000GB: 5mW Idle / 340mW Avg / 1.1W (MAX) Read / 3.3W (MAX) Write
- Storage Temperature: -40°C~85°C
- Operating Temperature: 0°C~70°C
- Dimensions: 22mm x 80mm x 2.1mm
- Weight: 7g (All capacities)
- Vibration Operating: 2.17G (7-800Hz)
- Vibration Non-operating: 20G (20-1000Hz)
- Warranty/Support4: Limited 3-year warranty with free technical support