At least, that’s what Symantec is trying to achieve with its latest Norton AntiVirus, Norton AntiVirus Gaming Edition : A winning protection that won’t slow you down (or so it promises).
Norton AntiVirus 2009 Gaming Edition is meant to use as little resources as possible and very gaming-friendly (it shouldn’t interrupt you at all while you are busy killing other players online.
Norton AntiVirus Gaming Edition Features (taken from its official page)
- Lightning Fast and Light as a Feather
- Fastest and lightest virus, spyware, and rootkit protection available, optimized for gaming.
- Installs in under one minute on average.
- Requires less than 6 MB of memory—eight times less memory than the competitive industry average.
- Opens only two processes.
- Uses less than 50 MB of hard disk space (without definitions).
- Adds less than 3 seconds to boot time.
- Norton™ Insight technology scans only those files at risk, resulting in fewer, shorter, and faster scans of less than 35 seconds on average—almost five times faster than the competitive industry average.
- Suspends alerts and notifications to avoid interrupting game play.
- Option to suspend real-time monitoring activities and updates to reduce PC and network resource usage even further.
- Automatically enabled when PC is in full-screen mode.
- Turn it on manually with a simple click on the Norton system tray icon.
- Automatically detects and removes the latest online threats.
- Tiny, rapid Pulse Updates every 5 to 15 minutes—30 times more often than the competitive industry average.
- Norton Protection System delivers multilayered protection.
- Patent-pending, industry-leading protection from Web-based attacks.
- Real-time SONAR™ (Symantec™ Online Network for Advanced Response) technology detects emerging spyware and viruses before traditional definitions are even available.
- Botnet detection prevents bots from taking control of your PC.
- Norton Recovery Tool boots and repairs badly infected PCs.
- Specialized deep-cleaning technology delivers our most complete scan possible.
- Easy access to intelligence on Internet threats targeting gamers.
Control Without Disruptions
- Smart Scheduler automatically schedules non time-critical activities such as scans and updates to occur while your PC is idle.
- Comprehensive control gives you the option to customize your security settings.
- Review the security status of every process on your PC.
Since there doesn’t seem to be a trial version yet on Symantec’s website, I can’t give an impression on whether it delivers as it’s promised. My concern is that the gaming antivirus edition will not be as smart/intelligent as the non-gaming edition. Hopefully this is not true.
You can read more about the Norton AntiVirus Gaming Edition here.
Comments are closed.