Finally! The patch for The Witcher, that is supposed to improve the loading time is out now! If you are currently playing the game, I’m sure you must have noticed the terrible loading times, but somehow you don’t want to stop playing :)
Well good news for you, the new patch is out now. Go and grab it!
If you don’t know what The Witcher is, read my user to user review here.
Gameplay and text bugs fixed:
- Fixes for Alina not being at her home when she should (Act 4).
- Wife’s Tears Potion fixes.
- Fixes for usable doors on the swamps (Act 5).
- Fixes for Alchemist in manufacture giving quest items to Geralt (Act 3).
- Fixes for some items to be found in Fields (Act 4).
- Fixes for a disappearing enemy in quest Haunted House (Act2).
- Fixed problems with Alvin’s spawn (Act 1).
- Few minor text fixes for all languages.
Code bugs fixed:
- Loading times are much faster!
- Saving is much faster!
- Another portion of stability improvements.
- Fix for rare "red rectangle" effect on loading bar.
- Quest tracking fixes.
- Some cursor fixes connected with finishers in tight places.
- Quest now won’t update when Geralt is dead causing multiple problems.
- Autosave mechanism fixes (numeration).
- Savegame files fixes – some irrelevant information was sometimes generated inside.
- The game won’t make an autosave if Geralt has an effect preventing him from talking (like knockdown, stun, push) – the result would be no talking at all for the rest of the game.
- Now you can’t attack neutral NPCs if you input the second (etc.) sword sequence in them, while first attacking a hostile.
- Dandelion’s music won’t be ‘echoed’ while changing location twice.
- The game can handle broken savegames now – it returns to main menu.
- Motion blur effect won’t stay active despite Blizzard potion wearing off – drinking, then changing location, then cutscene.
- Final fixes for weapons disappearing from enemies’ hands.
- Grass and small stones being multiplied – fixed.
- Fixes for receiving damage from Striga while being far away.
Art bugs fixed:
- Few level decoration fixes.
- Fixes for barghest attack animation.
It’s around 113 Mb in file size. You can grab the download at one of the public servers (or simply Google `The Witcher 1.2 Patch`)
Australian server: http://www.ausgamers.com/files/details/html/32669
The Witcher Patch 1.2 Impression: Man! It IS fast! Saving is faster, loading in new maps or area is much faster too now. I think previously if you entered a house, the developer freed the area data memory and load the new house data. So when you got out of the house, the whole city/area data has to be reloaded back in the memory. This patch seems to enhance it (it looks like the area data is still in the memory even when you enter a house, therefore the game doesn’t have to reload the area data back when you exit the house).
This is how the game should have shipped! My old save games work too, so there is no reason for you not to grab this patch!
If you haven’t played The Witcher, it’s an RPG game with great graphics, dialogues, and storylines! Decisions that you made in the past will affect the conversations and make a bit of a twist in the storyline. Read my review of the game here.