PointUI is an overhaul UI application for your PocketPC (iPhone like UI/User Interface). If you haven’t read about my impression about PointUI, read it first here (based on the initial release version).
I receive many daily visitors from search engines, searching to find out how to uninstall PointUI. PointUI still has numerous bugs, so feel free to update your version to 1.02b before you decide to uninstall PointUI! Give it another chance! So what’s new?
If you want the complete release notes:
- Smartphone support
- PDA’s (without phone) support
- Voice mail count is now displayed under the missed call count for those with phone networks supporting this feature.
- Lock screen will fade back to Home screen to allow you to see all of the status information even when device is locked.
- Translation support – see the forums for more information.
- New customise option: can choose digital or analog clock.
- New customise option: Lock Device, Show Home, or Show Home Screen when device is switched on.
- New customise option: automatically switch bluetooth on only during phone calls and switch off at the end of the call (not supported on all devices). The idea behind this is that if you only use bluetooth during phonecalls for headset etc and don’t need it on all the time, then this option could be useful to you. It will turn bluetooth on as soon as an incoming/outgoing call is detected, and turn it off when you hang up.
- New customise option: can choose to use Home’s comm manager or system default if supported.
- New customise option: can choose to not show screenshots in Currently Running screen (if your device has issues showing the screenshots).
- New customise option: can choose to Show Home, Show Call Summary Screen, or Do Nothing when call is finished.
- New customise option: can choose to use Home’s task bar or standard system task bar.
- The list of applications now merges the list of favorites so you can view the entire list together
- Call summary screen added to display who was called and how long call lasted for at end of call.
- Lock screen can now be used on smartphones – you press up then down on dpad.
- You now have an additional option to “Lock Device” on power on.
- Battery saving – now only uses marginally more battery power than normal – smartphone users should notice a big difference (of course this is dependent on how excessive you are with using it).
- Taskbar in all other standard apps is no longer changed except for the Start button area which still takes you to Home’s Task Menu.
- Windows Media icon has been replaced with Favorites.
- Appointments summary shows only the next 7 days of appointments.
- Tasks summary no longer shows completed tasks.
- Force close now returns focus back to Home.
- Ringer volume and profile button on sound screen for non-phone devices are no longer displayed.
- Appointments now display all day events in bold and should not display events that have been completed for the day.
- “Today” and “Tomorrow” in appointments also now show the date after them
- Smartphones no longer have a Windows Mobile section as it’s not relevant.
- Shortcut no longer includes “.” at start which was causing issues for button mapping.
- Soft key on Today screen no longer overridden. (NOTE: you will need to reset it back to what it was manually if you have a previous version installed).
- Many bugs fixed!
- Memory leak issues fixed.
- Lock screen locks keys as well, and when orientation changed while locked the keys remain locked.
- Recurring appointments now displayed.
- Hardware buttons now working.
- Volume controls now working.
- Volume controls support stereo.
- Control panel applets have had a number of bug fixes. They still are only categorised correctly for English ROMS unless you use a translated terms file as described in the forums.
- Battery shouldn’t show 255% any more but some devices for some reason do not report the correct % when asked and can take a while before they report it successfully.
- The speed that tasks load has been improved and should no longer cause freezes.
- Currently Running screen causing device to freeze has been fixed on most devices, but still is problematic with some devices in which case you need to switch off the screenshots option.
- Closing home sometimes caused it to freeze needing soft reset issue has been fixed.
In a nutshell (if you skipped reading the release notes), you’ll get:
- A bunch of fixes, stability issues, and performance
- More PointUI Home configuration
- A new black sexy theme
- The media player icon shortcut is changed to your Favorites (yay!)
- After you end a phone call, you will be taken back to PointUI’s Home screen (this can be configured)